Home improvement projects are necessary for maintaining and upgrading a home’s environment. Most homeowners know that when they decide to repair or improve a certain part of their structure; they will eventually have to use an orbital sander. An orbital sander is a small or medium-sized hand-held sander. Most are small enough to be operated with one hand.
Most homes are constructed out of wood. Areas and parts of a home such as doors, floors and decks are components of a home that usually need sanding when being upgraded. The following tips will give homeowners with some useful tips about how to use an orbital sander for common home improvement projects.
Orbital Sanders and Doors
Doors are an important part of any structure. They are designed for privacy and security. They also protect residents from outside weather conditions. Wooden doors will eventually wear down over time. When this happens, a homeowner can either replace or repair the door. Homeowners that choose to repair a door should follow the steps below.
1. Take the door off of its hinges.
2. Thoroughly clean the door.
3. Use a heavy sander to strip the door if it is in very poor condition. Doors with minor fading or chipping should not require a heavy sander.
4. Doors that are in fair condition should be stripped with an orbital sanding tool.
5. If a person uses an orbital sanding tool they should wear safety goggles on their eyes, a dust mask and gloves.
Keep in mind that an orbital sander is designed for lightweight sanding applications. They typically can only use a lightweight sand paper grit. These small devices are also known as quarter-sheet sanders because they can only use one-fourth piece of a sheet of sand paper. Once again, these devices should not be used on doors that have been heavily damaged.
Orbital Sanders and Decks
Many homeowners have deck areas that they enjoy using all throughout the year. Nearly all deck areas are located outside of a person’s home. Since they are constantly exposed to the elements they typically suffer a lot weather damage over time. Eventually, all deck owners will want to repair their deck areas. Here are some general deck repairing tips that will be useful for this purpose.
Do not forget that some types of woods cannot stand up to a lot sanding. A person who encounters this problem should cautiously use an orbital sander. If this damages a door then a person should use a fine grit sheet of sandpaper and perform the task by hand. This is according to the orbital sander reviews at ThoroughlyReviewed.com.
1. Remove all items off a deck.
2. Wash and clean the deck. A person can use a power washer to do the job or do it by hand.
3. Sand the deck area with a heavy sander if it is needed.
4. If a heavy sander is not needed then a person can use a lightweight orbital sander. Keep in mind that if a person uses a lightweight orbital sander it will take them more time to get the deck sanded down. The best thing for a person to do in this situation is to use a medium-sized sander.
5. When it comes to improving a deck a person should use an orbital sander to touch up or as a finishing touch on a surface.
6. Don’t forget to wear safety gear.
Orbital Sanders and Wooden Floors
Using an orbital sander on a wooden floor might not be a practical thing to do. However, this will be dependent on the shape of the floor. The following tips can be used to improve a wooden floor.
1. Remove all items from the floor.
2. Thoroughly inspect the floor; especially if you have pets. Keep in mind that some stains cannot be taken out of a wooden floor. Pet stains are notoriously hard to remove. If a person inspects their floor and discovers that a stain cannot be sanded out then they should consider an alternative method for improving the condition of their flooring.
3. Use a heavy sander if a wooden floor has been left in very poor condition.
4. Depending on how a floor is constructed; a heavy-duty sander might not be a practical tool for sanding all of its area. An orbital sander is great for sanding wooden floors which are located in tight spaces or have hard to reach edges.
5. Do not forget to wear safety equipment when sanding.
Orbital sanders are great tools for lightweight sanding jobs. They are necessary for putting the finishing touches on any home improvement project. These devices can definitely be used to help improve the condition of any wooden area within a house.